Tuesday, April 29, 2008

FIRE!

Hellems is burning!

eh, not really. But this is the third fire drill in my building this semester. wtf?

I propose a new way of thinking. Not new as in, I originated this concept, but new in the sense that it seems no one has adopted it, and so I call for a change.
Higher education is anything but. There are few who take their education seriously. I am quite convinced of this. Undergraduates are not the only ones guilty of this. I look around me and see so many people much more concerned with CV packing and submission obsessing than their personal reading lists, projects, and intellectual interests. Of course, there is good reason for their toil--a system is in place that rewards those preoccupied with the things that do not matter. But, I feel that if we, the students and professors, abandon that practice, soon it would fade into oblivion and we would be free to formulate thought, revitalize community, and (yes, yes) actually speak to the world's problems (no lie, I have no desire to do this with my research, but, whatever, it seems everyone else does). It's just a thought...not very well formulated or even articulated here. But, hey, we all gotta start somewhere.

No comments: