Friday, May 23, 2008

Take me out to the ballgame


Much of the gang

Tonight was a delightful one. A Pirates game in the 'burgh. Of course, we lost. We've got the Steelers, the Penguins, and the Pirates...2 out of 3 ain't bad.

It was fireworks night. Though the video here is kinda of lame, I assure you that the display was quite good. Actually, it was the best fireworks showing I've ever seen, hands down. After the video, we moved to a better spot to see them. I was standing next to an older gentleman in a wheelchair. He sat, quietly and rather expressionless, but watching the fireworks intently. And I thought to myself, how many fireworks shows has this man seen in his life? Are they all something special? Unique? Do they have to be? Maybe each time isn't really anything especially memorable at all. He didn't seem to relish in the moment. However, his attention was never broken.

I just thought about these things while I watched him. And I thought about how many fourth of July's and baseball games, and other events I had attended. And I thought of my grandparents at in Martin's Ferry when I was young. And I wondered how many times I had seen the fireworks.

No comments: