Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Looking Into A Mirror

Do you ever read, hear, or see something that just leaves you nodding quietly to yourself in total agreement and some level of surprise? Catch phrases like "You took the words right outta my mouth," "My thoughts exactly," and "Get out of my head!" don't quite capture the moment. After all, anybody can jinx, agree, or simply have a meaningful understanding. But there are these times, these precious times, when a person, a book, a poem, a soliloquy, a casual remark will stop you in your tracks and make you realize that you are not alone, someone does understand, and everything is beautiful.

I have loved Bukowski since being introduced to his works several years ago. I knew that he was someone I would want to impress upon meeting, and would likely do just the opposite. "Out of my league" doesn't begin to describe my sentiment. This was reinforced today when I started perusing (That word means the opposite of what you think it does, by the way. Thank you, Ethan.) quotes of his online and picking up Burning in Water Drowning in Flame.

The words washed over me like a veritable ingenuous tsunami. The feeling of being totally understood and verified is invaluable. These are the ones that got me the most:

“That's the problem with drinking, I thought, as I poured myself a drink. If something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget; if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate; and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen.”
Women

“We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.”

"there are worse things
than being alone
but it often takes
decades to realize this
and most often when you do
it's too late
and there's nothing worse
than too late"
―"Oh Yes"

And of course...

"what matters most is how well you walk through the fire."

No comments: