Tuesday, October 20, 2009

How Things Are Goin'

Work:
Since August I've been working two jobs. Promo Wednesday-Saturday, Crazy Mocha Saturday-Tuesday. Enjoy them both a lot, but do not get paid enough and would very much like real job, normal schedule, benefits, and, well, yeah, to get paid more. =)

Friends:
Amanda's wonderful weekend visit was this past Friday to Sunday. Not enough time, but so nice to see her! We frolicked about the 'burgh in some of the most miserable weather Western PA could throw at us. I miss her already.

Travel:
Headed to London on Sunday. I know, it's been a long time (by Shannon standards). Looking forward to getting my ass off this continent for a li'l while. The 10ish days away are a much needed retreat.

Health:
Nothing to report. Still sick. No improvement. Still hopeful.

Schpiel:
Balance is the name of the game right now, and I don't have it. And the department that is suffering is definitely in my personal relationships. I just cannot be there as much as I want to be for the people in my life. Between working every single day and not feeling like doing anything when I'm not I am finding it impossible to keep in touch, catch up, and attend all the things I so desire to. I feel as though I am in a major transitional stage, but instead of it lasting a couple of months until I move home from grad school and get settled into a job and a place, I'm looking at a year or more of struggling financially and physically.

the Plan:
My desire is to land a job, a regular old 9-5 that pays around $35,000 a year. And stay in said job for a year. In that year, stay at home, pay off most of my debt (student loans will be around for a while...), and get healthy (I believe this can happen). At that point move to Tokyo for a year of teaching English. This can be followed by any number of delightful adventures, including snagging an Americorps position in the Pacific Northwest or moving to LA with friends. I'd still really like to be a roadie for a not so notable punk, rock, indie, hardcore, or whatever the fuck band. =) (Musicians will be jumping at the chance to hire me with that attitude.)

Tidbit:
I took a quiz about what kind of person you are in Oprah magazine (don't judge me!) and the results were scary-right. Here it is:

YOU ARE STRIVING TO BE SPONTANEOUS
You are an adventurer: Action-oriented, curious, outgoing, and often technically gifted, you live for new experiences. You are drawn to risk-taking and aren't afraid to fail. Generally restless, you tend to job-hop or choose a field that offers constant novelty. If you had to name your favorite place, it might be the center of attention—you're a born entertainer, and can easily adapt to any audience. While you collect many acquaintances, you're less likely to develop deep, committed relationships.What to watch out for: When you can't satisfy your thirst for variety and excitement, you may see yourself as trapped, which can lead to impulsive and self-destructive behavior—drinking, drugs, breaking off relationships, ditching financial responsibilities. Try to find value in some traditions; if you learn to appreciate repetitive experiences, you won't always feel the urge to bust free. And when a new opportunity thrills you, keep in mind that just because it sounds exciting, that doesn't mean it's good for you.Looking ahead: Life will have meaning for you as long as you feel stimulated. That might mean chasing twisters, exploring the polar ice caps, getting a degree in dance therapy, or becoming an astronaut. It might also mean reading new books, attending workshops, or letting yourself get swept up in an intoxicating romance. As a risk-lover with a lot of energy, you're a natural entrepreneur. You'll be happiest if you change jobs every so often and travel extensively. Movement is what keeps you going.

Well, that's me for sure. How funny.

No comments: